Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week One


For those looking for numbers, I'm just not ready to post that deeply embarrassing fact.  So let's just say I want to lose 100 pounds, and this is not unreasonable for me.  (Many who know me will not believe this, because I "carry it well", but trust that my Dr. agrees.)

The first few days were difficult as far as being hungry and tired goes.  This was a SIGNIFICANT reduction in calories from what I was used to (From about 3,800 per day to about 850 per day).  But the support from friends and family and my "adrenalin" kept me pushing through.  Drinking hot tea was one of my solutions, and eating slowly was a MUST!  I've NEVER been good at eating slowly, but because I could only eat one small portion of Medifast food every 2 1/2-3 hours, I ate slowly to make it last.  I drank all the water that was required as well (80 oz. daily for someone my size, plus an additional 8 oz. for every 8 oz. of Diet Coke I drank....this quickly reduced THAT consumption!)

Significant to the mental aspect of this challenge was my frequent visualizing of what I will look and feel like if I can just keep this up for six months.  Imagining the upcoming summer with much less weight to haul around in the heat and humidity.  Reminding myself of all my physical hindrances to a fulfilling life also helped.  I need to have relief from back and foot pain, get off high blood pressure meds, and be able to shop "off the rack" like a normal person (rather than from online "fat" stores).

"Food fantasies", as I call them, began about day 3.  At first it was just thinking about foods I've had recently and imagining how they would taste, then it progressed to actually dreaming at night that I had forgotten I was dieting and ate the "old" way! By the end of the first week I was having to push thoughts of food/eating out of my head constantly.  So many cravings!! 

What kept me from cheating?  Well, I think it is because I chose to weigh myself every morning for the first week.  I needed to know that this was working in order to stick to it.  When the first 24 hours released me of 4 POUNDS (water weight, of course), I was VERY motivated to continue.  Day two released 2.6 pounds.  Another pound a day for days 3 and 4, and then fractions after that.  Now I'm going to weigh in only weekly.

WEEK ONE TOTAL LOSS = 9.8 POUNDS

No comments:

Post a Comment